Mental Health

Frequently Asked Questions

Does the involuntary commitment process apply to all mentally or emotionally disturbed persons?


This process applies only to those persons who, because of a mental disorder, are alleged to be dangerous to themselves or others or are unable to provide for their basic personal needs and are not receiving the care that is necessary for their safety or survival. Such persons are often unwilling or unable to seek the help they need on their own.

Is it possible for such persons to get help without going through the involuntary commitment process?


Any person may seek help voluntarily at a community mental health program, a local hospital, or through private care.

What rights are guaranteed to persons on involuntary commitment?

Persons involuntarily committed for treatment have the right to:

  • communicate freely by phone and in person
  • keep and use personal possessions and clothing
  • religious freedom

Committed persons cannot be required to perform routine labor tasks, except those essential to their treatment and they are entitled to reasonable compensation for all work performed, other than personal housekeeping duties. They are permitted to exercise all civil rights unless limited by court order for special reasons. They are protected from unusual or hazardous treatment without their consent, unless there are overriding clinical reasons for such treatment.

A complete statement of these rights is posted in all facilities treating committed persons and is given to each person at the time of admission to a treatment facility.

How long will a person be confined for an involuntary commitment?

The commitment is to the State Mental Health Division for a period of up to 180 days of treatment.

When the mentally ill person is stable or no longer actively psychotic or does not pose an imminent threat to self or others, the person may be discharged from the hospital and receive treatment in another facility or in the community. The principle that applies is that treatment is to occur in the least restrictive setting possible. Involuntary hospitalization very often lasts for only a few days before the person is ready to continue treatment in a less restrictive environment.





Main Office   view map
445 3rd Ave SW
Albany, OR 97321

Office Hours
Monday — Friday:
8:30 a.m. — 5 p.m.

8:30 a.m. — 7 p.m.

Telephone: 541-967-3866
Toll free: 1-800-304-7468
FAX: 541-928-3020
TTY/TTD: 1-800-735-2900

Willamette Health Center

Location   view map
2730 Pacific Blvd SE
Albany, OR 97321

Office Hours
Monday — Friday:
8:30 a.m. — noon
1 p.m. — 5 p.m.

Telephone: 541-967-3866
FAX: 541-812-8807
TTY/TTD: 1-800-735-2900


Location   view map
1600 S Main St
Lebanon, OR 97355

Office Hours
Monday — Friday:
8:30 a.m. — noon
1 p.m. — 5 p.m.

Telephone: 541-451-5932
or 1-888-451-2631
FAX: 541-258-5704

Sweet Home

Location   view map
799 Long St
Sweet Home, OR 97386

Office Hours
Monday — Thursday:
8:30 a.m. — noon
1 p.m. — 5 p.m.

Open on some Fridays, call ahead to confirm.

Telephone: 541-367-3888
or 1-800-920-7571
FAX: 541-367-2407
or 541-924-6914

see Crisis Services information

Other Resources

Oregon Department of Human Services
Oregon Mental Health
National Alliance for the Mentally Ill
Oregon Advocacy Center
Internet Mental Health
New Solutions Referral Form
Mid-Valley Behavioral Care Network
All MH Links

index   sitemap   advanced

search engine by freefind